Do you have an upcoming appearance scheduled at the Downing Centre Court?
If you are due to appear in court, even for a relatively minor matter, it is a good idea to seek advice and representation from an experienced criminal defence lawyer.
Ugur is the principal of the firm, and has been successfully defending minor and more serious cases, including murder and commercial drug cases, since 1998.
In fact, Ugur has worked in criminal defence since 1992 when he became a law clerk for a prominent defence firm. He started his own firm in 2001 which has built a reputation for excellence in the field.
What should I look for when I choose a lawyer?
If you are looking for a lawyer to represent you in court there are a number of factors you should take into consideration.
Finding the right legal representation can make a big difference to the outcome of your criminal case, so make sure you choose a lawyer who is experienced and has a proven track record of success at defending cases like yours in Downing Centre Court.
Here are some of the things you should look at when choosing a lawyer to represent you in court:
- Experience. An experienced lawyer will know what is likely to be the best defence in your case and will be able to base their strategy on what has worked in the past. Experienced lawyers also have a good reputation and standing with magistrates who are more likely to listen to them and trust their arguments.
- History. Experience is one thing, but having a proven track record of successfully defending cases that are similar to yours can give you an idea of the likely outcome. When you are looking for a new lawyer, ask to see records of their previous cases and check whether or not they got the outcome that you are looking for.
- Ability to communicate. Going through the court process is a stressful time and in order for your lawyer to be able to guide you and give you the best quality representation, you need to be able to communicate effectively and honestly with them. If you don’t feel comfortable with your lawyer or if they speak in incomprehensible legal terminology all the time, this is not going to alleviate your stress or give you the best chance of a positive outcome.
- Individual or team. Although many lawyers work independently, for the highest level of representation it is a good idea to look for a lawyer who works as part of a team. Having a group of people working on your case means you can expect to have people who specialise in different areas working on different aspects of your case, and an overall higher level of representation.
- Fees. Lawyers’ fees can be expensive so make sure you check how your lawyer is planning to charge, and ensure that you are aware of all costs upfront. Some law firms, including Sydney Criminal Lawyers, charge flat rate fees for minor or routine matters, and this can be a good way to avoid unexpected bills and keep your legal fees reasonable.
Having a criminal conviction on your record can have a lifelong impact on you and your family, so it is important that you find the best possible legal representation. Ugur Nedim is a lawyer who regularly attends Downing Centre Court, and is an accredited specialist in criminal law.
Make sure you give yourself the best chance of a positive outcome from your court case and choose the best quality legal representation available.